Cthulu Fhtagn?

Tell us about your favorite horror books
Randolf_Carter

Cthulu Fhtagn?

Post by Randolf_Carter » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:12 pm

I've mostly read Lovecraft forwards and backwards. Poe is way up there too. I'm a little lame and I'm okay with being basic.

Stephen King is always really entertaining I've found. But generally I think the movies are as good as the books. GENERALLY. The only thing of his that I'd consider real art (at the risk of being real pretentious) is The Stand.

I've read buttfucking everything Flannery O'Connor has written, though it's not quite horror. Or maybe it is. I haven't read her in a while though but 15 to 20 years ago I practically had her oeuvre memorized. Including her letters and lectures. I'll make the prediction that the Catholic church is going to canonize her within most of our lifetimes. Based much more on her personal correspondences than any of her other writing.

I love Margaret Atwood. Ambrose Bierce is a sturdy and reliable horror writer, like King after him. I've read a bit of Algernon Blackwood and like him for the most part. With me he's a little more "hit-or-miss" than the others. My favorite story of his is "The Wendigo," and if you're old like me you might remember the story from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark of the same name. It is pretty clear that the writer relied heavily on the Algernon Blackwood story.

Which reminds me. SStTitD is probably my all-time favorite at the end of the day. Anyone who's as old as me can probably remember how demented and horrifying its artwork was, especially when you're still at a single-digit age. They're redoing it with watered down artwork, I heard or read somewhere. I honestly don't know what took them so long, but it pains my heart. I'll always remember trying to avoid looking at certain illustrations because they just scared me that damned much.