Greetings!

Introduce yourself here
FionaMactire

Greetings!

Post by FionaMactire » Tue May 28, 2019 3:06 am

Hello all you wonderful scary story writers and lover of such stories. I just thought I would drop in a message, and a request if you are alright with it! I have a YouTube channel where I am featuring both old folklore stories (on Mondays) and scary stories (on Fridays). I thought I should put it out there that I am looking for any authors who may be interested in letting me read their stories. I will obviously credit you as the author, either in the video itself or in the description under the video along with any links you would like me to use (email, fb, twitter ect.). I am new, so I cannot offer much in the way of exposure, and I don't ever plan to monetize my channel. I am doing it because I love stories and want more of them to be shared. I am new, so I am still working through the bugs. I use my own "character" to narrate the stories, and am still learning my equipment. You can either message me here or shoot me an email at whitewolfreadings@gmail.com. If you want to check out what I have done so far feel free to check out my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_RNCD ... dJ_a3ELJfQ?
I am also open to any constructive criticism on how I can improve the videos as well (just please me gentle with them I am just starting out reading outside of to my kids at night lol). Thank you all for your time and have a wonderful day/evening/night!

Scare Me Fox

Greetings!

Post by Scare Me Fox » Tue May 28, 2019 11:22 pm

I am new too. Here are my thoughts. Story was good. You need a good mic. And better lighting. Keep it up. Check out my first try here and let me know you thoughts. I like your passion.
1st try (I wrote, edited and did narration)
2d try (creepy pasta story)
3rd (creepy pasta)

FionaMactire

Greetings!

Post by FionaMactire » Wed May 29, 2019 12:19 am

Hi! I am actually using a Blue Yeti mic. I had heard glowing reviews from many other folks who use it so I thought it would be a good starting point. As for my lighting that may also be an issue with my camera. I figured a good mic would be a better investment at first, rather than a high end camera since narration is more about audio then visuals. I have been having a bit of an issue getting it set up correctly I think. In earlier videos it picked up just fine, but now I am getting some weird feedback. I think it has to do with the wide range of my voice when I use "different" voices. I see it hitting yellow and bordering on red at times in OBS. I have been doing my best to figure out why and how to fix the odd echo sound I am getting. But I appreciate the help!!
I do like the way you are doing yours as well, my only comment I would offer is that the last one sounded....rushed maybe? You seemed like you were in a hurry, or maybe that you were out of breath so it was a bit harder for me to follow. But I loved the pace of the first one, plus the deeper tones in your voice came out really well in that one also.

Scare Me Fox

Greetings!

Post by Scare Me Fox » Wed May 29, 2019 3:40 am

LOL. My 13 YO son said same thing about the rushed voice. I may re-do it. I was was rushed because my kids only stay quiet for 10 mins LOL. Suggestion. Do you use the CARDIOID setting on your YETI? Also play around with the lighting (above and below your face) and the mask sounds like you are speaking through a mask. Consider just doing pics and jpegs avis for now until you can get your camera settings figured out. I tried video and it is a pain in the butt. Do you use video editing software? I am not a pro but I have the passion as well. Keep it up. Lets chat some more

FionaMactire

Greetings!

Post by FionaMactire » Wed May 29, 2019 5:44 am

For the horror vids I want to stick with the lamp light. That part was intentional. For the folklore vids I literally just use sunlight that is coming from the window next to me. It's to my left, it's kinda why I went with lighting the lamp to my right. I don't have any lighting gear at all. That will have to wait for awhile. I do use Cardioid as recommended, and speak into the side of the microphone not the top. I think it has to do with me going to high on the audio counter thing. It seems like the more confident I get in my vids the more willing I am to shift my voice to do "different voices" so I have to learn to regulate that and keep my gain turned down.
I understand the kiddos thing, have two of my own and now that summer is here I have to find a way to keep the youngest entertained and out of the way while I do the daytime vids (he is six and has a serious momma's boy attitude lol). My girl is 11 and knows that if my bedroom door is shut, mom is recording so stay out. As for editing I sprung for the full adobe package while it was on sale. I use premier pro and do my best to keep it updated, and I keep playing around with my effects (not sure which vid you saw but the most recent I was using blurring and opacity to make the overlays). I have audition as well but have zero knowledge as to how to adjust things lol.

Scare Me Fox

Greetings!

Post by Scare Me Fox » Thu May 30, 2019 12:53 am

I have a 11 and 13 YO boys. I get it. My Mic positions etc are making me mad too. Not sure what to do but I have an audio pro friend that is going to help me when he gets back after vaca. I wish I had premier pro...It is a great platform but complicated. I will respond to the email soon. Been so busy. Are you still in the North West? I lived in Seattle (Tacoma-Puyallup-Ellensburg) for 5 years in the 1990s

Stay scared

FionaMactire

Greetings!

Post by FionaMactire » Thu May 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Email? I didn't send you an email hon. I have only sent an email to one of the authors of a story I had wanted to narrate. Or are you the one who wrote Sandman?
Pro is definitely a complex program but it works well. And they have a huge number of tutorials within the program as well to help out newbies. I actually haven't ever lived in the northwest, I currently live of the east coast. My mom lives in Washington state though so I know a bit about the area.