What Makes a Creepypasta a Creepypasta?

Discuss anything Creepypasta related
Origami_Maggots

Post by Origami_Maggots » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:46 pm

What would you say differentiates a Creepypasta from a short horror story like Stephen King or Dean Koontz would write? I've read various definitions, and they all say something a little different, so I'm led to believe that it's up to the individual to decide what qualifies as a Creepypasta. What do you say?
Thanks in advance.

beyondthesuccessor

Post by beyondthesuccessor » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:43 pm

I see a lot of people unwilling to accept stories that weren't posted in the creepypasta site as creepypastas, but technically a creeptpasta is by definition simply a short horror story written for the internet which can be easily shared via copying and pasting. A creepypasta IS a short horror story same as anything written by King, but rather than being published in physical form by a professional company they're published online with sharing in mind, and they are often accompanied by memes, to me those two elements make the difference. So I think to me what makes something a professional work of fiction or a creepypasta is the culture that surrounds it. Slenderman is often accepted as a creepypasta despite not being created for the creepypasta website, and never (to my knowledge) ever having been posted anywhere in the form of prose. There's lore behind it but not an actual written story. Yet the photoshopped images and lore are still shared in a way similar to creepypastas. I guess my point is it depends on whether you strictly view creepypastas as written works published here, or you go by the literal definition. Personally I go with the later.